[FRIAM] Nick has gone dark

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Sep 7 16:35:40 EDT 2021

Mary and I are reading a biography of HD Thoreau and I feel like I have
a better bead on who the heck NST is from getting a slightly better bead
on that aspect of small town New England's history/perspective.
Neither of us have spent more than glancing careens through New England
population centers in our lives.

We were on our way to visit a friend on the coast of Maine with an
intention of crashing Nick's front porch party on the way by, for some
egg-salad sandwiches when Mary's back went sideways.  We've been doing
urgent care/medical imaging/accupuncture/physical therapy instead.
She's recovering well and may likely avoid surgery.

It is just as well with COVID spiking again... we were planning an
Amtrak run supplemented by a rental car and might have been able to
avoid the worst of the gambit ( not so much our own risk, but the risk
of stirring pots best left under-stirred and becoming vectors ourselves
).

I read that Amtrak style travel clocks in at 1/2 the carbon footprint of
air-travel... I'm surprised it is not better.  In either case, it
doesn't fit well into my aspiration of joining (spiritually) the 2000
Watt Society <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000-watt_society>.   The
more formidable target of a 500W Society (to achieve a carbon-neutral
humanity with lots of assumptions) doesn't likely leave any room for
long-distance travel unless it is roughly by-foot (bring back the Mormon
Handcart
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_pioneers#Travel_conditions>?)
Maybe DaveW can get a friend to haul him into his favorite hot-spring
that way without the noise and erosion and fumes of an ATV?