[FRIAM] Calling Bullshit

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 18:01:39 EDT 2021

Typically a "shadow docket" denial usually only has a paragraph or two
explaining why the case will not be heard. I'm not sure I've even seen one
with a full majority opinion. It is not unusual to have a short dessent,
but 4 dessents seems highly unusual. Of course, I'm an amature at this, so
others might know more. I do poke pretty deeply into a few decisions every
year, and have been doing that for a while, but am certainly not a SCOTUS
expert.

The majority rationale seems to be what is summarized before the Robert's
dissent in the link provided above.

To prevail in an application for a stay or an injunction, an applicant must
carry the burden of making a “strong showing” that it is “likely to succeed
on the merits,” that it will be “irreparably injured absent a stay,” that
the balance of the equities favors it, and that a stay is consistent with
the public interest. Nken v. Holder, 556 U. S. 418, 434 (2009); Roman
Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn v. Cuomo, 141 S. Ct. 63, 66 (2020) (citing
Winter v. Natural Resources Defense Council, Inc., 555 U. S. 7, 20 (2008)).
The applicants now before us have raised serious questions regarding the
constitutionality of the Texas law at issue. But their application also
presents complex and novel antecedent procedural questions on which they
have not carried their burden. For example, federal courts enjoy the power
to enjoin individuals tasked with enforcing laws, not the laws themselves.
California v. Texas, 593 U. S. ___, ___ (2021) (slip op., at 8). And it is
unclear whether the named defendants in this lawsuit can or will seek to
enforce the Texas law against the applicants in a manner that might permit
our intervention. Clapper v. Amnesty Int’l USA, 568 U. S. 398, 409 (2013)
(“threatened injury must be certainly impending” (citation omitted)). The
State has represented that neither it nor its executive employees possess
the authority to enforce the Texas law either directly or indirectly. Nor
is it clear whether, under existing precedent, this Court can issue an
injunction against state judges asked to decide a lawsuit under Texas’s
law. See Ex parte Young, 209 U. S. 123, 163 (1908). Finally, the sole
private-citizen respondent before us has filed an affidavit stating that he
has no present intention to enforce the law. In light of such issues, we
cannot say the applicants have met their burden to prevail in an injunction
or stay application. In reaching this conclusion, we stress that we do not
purport to resolve definitively any jurisdictional or substantive claim in
the applicants' lawsuit. In particular, this order is not based on any
conclusion about the constitutionality of Texas’s law, and in no way limits
other procedurally proper challenges to the Texas law, including in Texas
state courts.

<echarles at american.edu>