[FRIAM] Can empirical discoveries be mathematical?

Roger Frye frye.roger at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 18:17:09 EDT 2021

A completely different example of mathematical metaphor is representation
theory. The formula 3*3 + 4*4 = 5*5 can be represented as a right triangle
with the sides touching the right angle having lengths of 3 and 4, and the
hypotenuse having length 5. I like to think of one representation being a
metaphor for the other.