[FRIAM] Could this possibly be true?

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Fri Sep 17 16:58:31 EDT 2021

Hi Steve,

No, not a Borges reference in that case.

“Garden path sentence” is a technical term used in linguistics, specifically by syntacticians, to express nonlocalities in the parsing of sentences that are left ambiguous by subsets of the exact word sequences, but which normally take conventional forms, and in the garden-path sentence are resolved at the end in an unconventional way.  The experience of reading them is that the mind is setting up an understanding, letting drop the details of sentence structure early as they get replaced by semantic representations, and then at the end realizing that those expectations have no resolution with the actual words, so one has to go back and re-load all the specifics to try to re-parse the sentence.  It essentially halts the process of sense-making that is normal in reading, as one “reads through the text”, and returns one to the pre-K level when one isn’t really reading, but looking at the literal text and wondering what one is supposed to do in response to it.

I heard a nice one in a talk years ago, which I could not remember exactly and could not find on the internet yesterday.  But if you look at Wikipedia, you will find that canonical examples are things like:

The horse raced past the barn fell.

The old man the boats.

To say that reading something in the evolution literature has an alien feel to me that reminds me of reading garden-path sentences is an attempt to point to the non-local nature of meaning carriage and to express an aspect of an experience; I did not make a claim that some particular sentence in some particular post “is” a garden-path sentence by some criterion of alternative parse-trees that I can deliver upon demand.  It’s more like saying Gosh, being hit in the head with a piece of a cinder block feels somewhat like falling off a bike and hitting my head on the ground (just to be sure I use two events I have really experienced, so I do not have to speak metaphorically).

Thanks,

Eric

>>> 5/2017 thru present https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fredfish.com%2fpipermail%2ffriam_redfish.com%2f&c=E,1,IOTOnBZjffN3XSXM4AB_DIp_1mYTEdXaVynZTEzNfHh1KuS16jFwVB1NtUwROiW6KJ8Clh1SjqX2bEKOqRIxCyX4BPfWPzBtr__nyVoVVW5Rwy-Py27V6w,,&typo=1 <https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fredfish.com%2fpipermail%2ffriam_redfish.com%2f&c=E,1,IOTOnBZjffN3XSXM4AB_DIp_1mYTEdXaVynZTEzNfHh1KuS16jFwVB1NtUwROiW6KJ8Clh1SjqX2bEKOqRIxCyX4BPfWPzBtr__nyVoVVW5Rwy-Py27V6w,,&typo=1>