[FRIAM] That was fun!

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Sep 18 11:38:32 EDT 2021

> Also, for the nerds in the group. This pic may document the most
> overdue purchase of one of those ever:

Is that a broccoli corsage on your coat?  And why do you look like Mark
Hamill?
<https://www.cnet.com/news/luke-skywalker-finally-makes-it-to-tosche-station-or-at-least-mark-hamill-does/>

I 'lived' off of one of those for a month in Italy w/o ever buying a
mains converter... I was in the rental car every day for one reason or
another, if only to charge up my laptop, camera batteries, phone.   12V
is the same in Metric as in Imperial, who knew?   I left mine as a gift
to one of my airBnB hosts, they had never seen one, and had enough
'murrican visitors to recognize the potential for them.  I did cheat,
however, by buying a Euro cord for my MacBook charger which made IT into
it's own universal power station as well.

The only thing more important than a power converter for
internationalstellar traveling would be a towel
<https://www.360onhistory.com/history/dont-panic-always-carry-towel/>?

    and THIS is what happens when you (I) try to build your (my) own

and YES my workbench is as gratuitously layered and complex (aka
cluttered) as my postsmind.

<TVSDR>

    FWIW, this project *also* adds functions like solar charging of the
    ad-hoc battery pack (yellow) from my (now retired) hybrid car,
    provides PWM speed-controls for pumps, LED light timers for a
    mini-aquaponic system and exhaust boost for my rocket mass stove and
    air circulation between sunroom and house.  In a pinch it can be
    used to jump-start my diesel truck and keep my laptop/wifi/ISP
    online in a power outage.   Linked to my Chevy Volt (16KWh) I
    estimate I could run for a month without any sun (nuclear
    winter-ready?).    It isn't EMP proof, though I do have a huge roll
    of copper mesh from the Black Hole (thank you Ed Grothus), waiting
    to become a Faraday cage (that will also keep out flies).

</TVSDR>

Henry David Thoreau would not approve, but then he *did* expect his mom
to feed him while he was pretending his "rustic life" on Walden Pond.

Ramble,