[FRIAM] Can a robot have a soul?

Jochen Fromm jofr at cas-group.net
Sat Sep 18 16:44:26 EDT 2021

I have watched John Searle videos on YouTube today and stumbled upon the question of personality again. If we assume that there is a special substance that makes us a person, can an advanced robot or AI acquire it? Can a robot be lazy, diligent, dull, intelligent, friendly, nit-picky or even creative? John Searle would probably say it is not a good question...https://youtu.be/Bq2bfSzkTfUI would say the answer is yes, because if the special substance is simply the personality or persistent character of a person, there is no reason why a robot should not be able to learn a bundle of typical behavior patterns (i.e. special mappings between perceptions and actions) that are characteristic for a person, even if this behavior is implemented totally differently. The resulting personality helps to define and maintain the identity of a personhttps://youtu.be/WwipmspceOUWhat do you think? Is there a special substance that makes us a person, and can an advanced robot or AI acquire it?-J.