[FRIAM] Can a robot have a soul?

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Sun Sep 19 01:33:09 EDT 2021

I am conflating decentralized with distributed a bit, but they are related in that more imperfect compute elements have more possibility for just adding noise than fewer ones, if what is needed or sought is in fact simple.   In other systems (e.g. a RAID array) redundancy is useful up to a point.  Extensive delegation tends to lead to a lack of coherence / the too-many-cooks problem.   Compression may give organisms higher fitness.   (Musk’s slogan that the best component is the one you don’t need.)

Now with the internet, genetic engineering, high fidelity simulations (e.g. as used by Tesla) and additive manufacturing, Searle’s categories are looking pretty strained.   Soon nanofabrication will be routine.  If you can make the model, you can have the thing..