[FRIAM] Advertents and Inadvertents

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 16:17:29 EDT 2021

Glen,

I despair when people whom I respect  disparage themselves.  "If Glen is a hack," I think, "what kind of a worm am I?"  I look at it this way.  We are all good at somethings, bad at others.  To the extent our strengths and weaknesses can compensate for one another, then that is a good thing.   Each offers what he has to offer; each takes from the pile of offerings what he needs.  It's a kind  of intellectual communism.

I do what to open a short side bar with you concerning "ontology."  I don't think the distinction between phenomenon and epiphenomenon was ever "ontological" with me.    Nor is the distinction between advertents and inadvertents.  So that makes me worry that we are using the term in different senses.   My understanding is that one's ontology is everything that one assumes to be.   Ontologies can be explicit or inexplicit. So, I can have an ontology and not know it.  You, therefore, have some considerable power to convince me of what my ontology actual is.  To the extent my ontology is explicit, it is a monist experience monism that insists that we live in a world of signs ... experiences that signify other experiences, but I don't think that ontology commits me to a world of advertents and inadvertents.

 Now I have heard you software wizards speak from time to time of "ontologies", and I am guessing that the word has some added spin for you that it does not for me.   So, I would like to straighten that out, if we could.  When you say that you fear the distinction is ontological with me, what exactly is it that you fear?

By the way, as a behaviorist, I am inclined to more to make the error that human most enterprizes are inadvertent, then to make the error that biological ones are advertent.

Nick

Nick Thompson
ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com
https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/