[FRIAM] Advertents and Inadvertents

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Fri Sep 24 17:03:25 EDT 2021

Hi Nick,

Sorry to be slow.  A dozen branches on the exchange so far in which it would be nice to engage, but I have to forego almost-all those.

There may not be much I can offer to the question you ask below, even by way of opinion.  My general take is that if somebody wants to build something, I say build away; I have no wish to be somebody who sits on the sidelines and carps.

Our worlds, our frameworks, and our sense of what constitute argument are so different that even after the work is done, I don’t know that I could evaluate what is moved by it.  I can give anecdotal examples of why, but probably not more.  You have, as part of a string of things below, the remarkable sentence:

> Think about the relation between functions and purposes.

I would have been incapable of using the definite article in that sentence.  I take it that you live in a world where both those words have definite meanings, and where you know what those meanings are.  Not only are such meanings available to you, but I gather that they are the most interesting meanings for you, and that your various projects always regress back to attach to them somehow.  That that should be so, for a psychologist, seems perfectly sensible.

For all that I have to be a spectator.  If we are using the word “purpose” in a poetic or literary sense, then sure, I sort-of know about as much about what might be the intended meaning as the next guy met on the street.  If I hear the word “function” used by a biologist, I probably don’t even know at a poetic or literary level what was intended, and my main reaction is a stress response of heightened vigilance  It is like the line in the old-series Star Trek where Kirk says something about freedom, and the big savage-man perks up and says “Freedom?!  It is our worship word; you will not speak it!”.  When a biologist uses the word “function”, it conjures up for me an image of a dragon sitting guard on his gold, because it is attached somehow to that most-sacred of all worship words: “evolution”. c.f.:

Then said they unto him, Say now Shibboleth: and he said Sibboleth: for he could not frame to pronounce it right. Then they took him, and slew him at the passages of Jordan: and there fell at that time of the Ephraimites forty and two thousand.

I think you are born into that biological lineage, as innocently as you were born a New Englander.

In contrast, there is a narrow use of the word function that I will commit to, in which I can say just what I mean by it.  Probably few people or nobody else feels a need to use it in my sense (though it will be more familiar among engineers or physicists), and they would be willing to interact with my usage at a literary level.  But within my own frame of argument, I can be definite enough to mean a specific thing.  (Similar to what I can do for the word “emergence” in the specific sense of phase transition in thermodynamics.)  There is no similarly definite usage I could attach to the word “purpose”, so there are ways of using it (as I could, internally, use “function”)  that are so far out of my reach.

Yet for you, not only is it given that these terms have meaning; you can refer to _the_ relation between those meanings.  I dunno; it’s just a different style.

So in view of that, your wish to find out if there is a good dichotomy, between phenomena that are situated somehow along the line of a purpose, and those that are somehow out of that line as branches, effected by the progress down the main line, but only feeding back on it through (what?  Un-modeled environment effects?  Le Chatelier-type action/reaction oppositions? Ecosystem engineering or Niche Construction?— I can’t even know that, because I don’t know in your world how people think of when one is referring to a property of a model and when they just make declarations without talking about what is a model and what is something else) is one for which I will have to just witness the output and see if it seems insightful.

That doesn’t contribute, I know, and I apologize for the limitations.  But I hope the self-reporting above can trigger some sensitivity in you that when you just toss off a word in a sentence, there will be some words for which the givenness to you will be much larger stumbling blocks to others than it will for other words.  Figuring out which ones are the mines in that field can be slow work.

Eric