[FRIAM] ivermectin

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Fri Sep 24 17:56:03 EDT 2021

It’s okay, Jochen, but I do want to avoid false equivalences.  If one refrains from using the term fascism until one has committed to meaning a specific thing by it, and then tries to use that meaning as an aid in sense-making, that is not the same as hurling epithets.  Fascism looms not just over Germans, but over people.  It happened to Germans and Spaniards and Italians and Argentines in particular eras, and they will unfortunately not only carry the latent rules of the game like everybody else does, but also almanacs of how various courses of play unroll, which are then available as a learning set for others.  I wish there weren’t any people who suffer under that, but given that the past has happened, it seems not at all wrong to try to learn from it where possible.

Hindsight in the US will be 20/20, but if we are going to recognize that there is a serious problem and try to find some way to head it off, now would be a very good time to do that.  Much better than after the problem has played out and we can affirm that, yes, that was the collapse of American society into barbarism.  And later historians can say, as they always say, “How did people just let it happen, when surely there were many of them for whom that wasn’t at all wanted?”  Well….

Perhaps — a Total Waste of Mailing-List Time — I can entertain you with how I ended up at Riefenstahl.

1. Joshua Cheptegei from Uganda won the 5k in the Tokyo Olympics, a race that was adjacent to the one I was urgently eager to watch, which was the men’s marathon in which Eliud Kipchoge created the kind of moment of grace I had been hoping for.

2. Last year in Atlanta, while riding in an Uber, the driver-woman was very concerned about flooding in Uganda, and I was aware I didn’t have a mental picture of Uganda’s location, topography, and geography.

3. Cheptegai seemed somehow similar to a Kipsigis name, but I was unsure, and wikipedia’d him.  There I learned that he has a middle name Kiprui.  Aha!  He is a Kalenjin!

4. So where exactly is Uganda?  Oh!  It is just a continuation on the Kalenjin side of the part of Kenya spanning the East-African rift system on the north side of Lake Victoria.  Of course.  Why then are there fewer really successful Ugandan Kalenjin runners than Kenyans?  Is it something about national wealth or corruption or development index?  Or have the populations changed a bit going east.  We can see, within Kenya, that the Kalenjin, the Maasai, and the Luo have very different relations to running (the Luo not eat all, the Maasai rarely and more in middle distance), and for some of these differences it is easy to understand why.

5. Related to that: since we know there was successful Bantu migration as far east as Kenya, Bantu groups among the major political pillars often opposed to the Luo, is there a large Bantu presence in Uganda?  How does that affect politics and opportunities there?

6. I realize I _really_ need to fill in gaps in my knowledge of the population structure of the Nilotic peoples across that regions, and check whether I can reasonably-reliably identify them by look, as I normally think I can.

7.  Riefenstahl had this photo-book of the people she called “Die Nuba”, which I saw many years ago (not a real group, which is in keeping with a woman of not-great intelligence but Dunning-Kruger levels of energy and self-assuredness): who were those people?  My memory of them is of a Nilotic look, were they?  (Never found a reliable answer to that question).

8. And oh, by the way, I remember criticism of Riefenstahl’s having skewed or staged things about the lives of the people she lived with; but had no frame to have a view of the criticisms at the time; do I have a frame to have a view now?

9. Somewhere in that stream, I ran across Sontag, realized I didn’t remember who she was or why she was at one time a meme, and off we go down the track of reading I forwarded.

10.  That track of reading helps clarify places where I feel confused on many fronts.  I hard long seen Nietzsche as an antidote to Platonism — where here, circling back to Nick’s question a week ago, I mean people who prefer their own preconceived notions to faithful witnessing of experiences — and a precursor to the existentialists.  But Sontag makes me aware and cautious that Nietzsche is a more complicated figure than that.  He is full of what she calls the fascist aesthetic: “My eagle and my snake”; living on “honey, ice-fresh” etc.  Just stuff that seems arbitrary and nonsense if you aren’t coming from the ecstatic perspective.  Honey is about as far removed from ice as anything I can imagine having in my mouth.  So Nietzsche is coming from this complicated, scattered sensibility, as it seems in my eyes.  On one hand, his life-affirming philosophy wants to get away from much of what I regard as poisonous in platonism and in christianity, and profoundly healthy.  On the other hand, those who wanted to peg him as an icon of Nazism have material to draw from, and his own protestations, that he is not “a good German, but a very good European” become complicated to evaluate.

But of course, who would possibly write all that irrelevant digression into a mailing-list post….

Eric