[FRIAM] COVID SaO2 at 7k feet

uǝlƃ ☤>$ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 13:21:30 EDT 2021

Steelman which one? I proposed 3:

1) SpO2 may not be accurate.
2) Health apps are only used by an rareified demographic.
3) Composition of individual effect to group effect is hard.

It sounds like you're targeting (3), given your mention of NOVID and R0. But it's related to both (1) and (2) by test/symptom recognition and attention/follow-through, respectively. Were I to combine them and try to steelman that combination, I would simply say that the more every individual thinks hard about such things and, importantly, realizes that they are very hard, the more they'll give people like Fauci a break. Everything's hard. Everything sucks. But sometimes we see little nudges in progress due to the huge amounts of work done by hard-working people. Or, in other words, look deep inside your most hated villain and you'll find some heroic components. Obamacare is a candidate example.

Is that the steelman you're looking for? It seems a bit too vague for me. It's certainly not a use *case*. It's not really even a usage pattern. But it smells a bit like Pinker's neoliberal conception of progress. BTW, I found this, this morning: https://rootsofprogress.org/a-new-philosophy-of-progress It reminded me of Pieter's technological optimism, which I often share ... but am leery of.

--
"Better to be slapped with the truth than kissed with a lie."
☤>$ uǝlƃ