[FRIAM] To repeat is rational, but to wander is transcendent

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Sat Apr 2 00:41:56 EDT 2022

> On Mar 31, 2022, at 3:24 AM, Roger Critchlow <rec at elf.org> wrote:
>
> And I suppose the back side of the trap is that we have an innate essentialist heuristic which we use for organizing essentially everything we encounter in the world.

You know, in reading this now, I am suddenly put back in mind of Vygotsky’s Thought and Language, and a category distinction he makes between “family resemblances” and “predicates”.  (Not that there is any privilege to this reference; only that I have seen so few things that I often come back to it.)

If “family resemblance” and “predicate” are even categories, maybe one should add to them “essences” as a third category.

What would any of those categories be?  Postures toward perceiving?  Or “experiencing”?

The language that philosophers seem to like that “it is like” something “to be alive” (or whatever; to be a bat) — I have sympathy for their need to have some verbal locution, though I have no impulse to follow them in using that one — seems to have an origin something like the origin of terms like “quailia”. Or to be off somehow in the same general quadrant.  So okay, we can do a lot, and we want verbal conventions for signals to put each other into various states of mind or frames of reference.  The language isn’t analytic in any sense, but if people think they mostly agree on it, maybe it does whatever we put weight on language to do, to some degree.  Cues to coordinate states of mind.

When Vygotsky uses the term “predicate”, he doesn’t mean it only (or maybe at all) in the logician’s sense of existence of a partition of a collection into non-overlapping classes.  He is referring to something somehow perceptual, so that from an early “family resemblance”, where maybe most of the blocks in a set are the red ones, or maybe most of them are the triangles, etc., we settle on taking “red” as a “property” on the basis of which to assign set membership.  Somehow it is that investing of things with properties or aspects, as a cognitive-developmental horizon, that he means as the shift to assigning them predicates.

Is it a mode of perception?  A cast of mind, among many in which perceptions might take place or be enacted?  Is “experiencing something” as “being of some essence” then, in any similar sense, a mode of perception or an orientation, disposition, or posture toward things that partly forms what we take from the interaction with them?  That is my attempt to re-say REC’s “innate essentialist heuristic”.  Is perceiving-in-essences a distinct disposition from perceiving-as-having-properties?  Or are they two names for the same thing?  Linguistically, we seem to use them differently.  At least in English, one is strongly attached to the verb “is” and the other to the verb “has”, and there seem to be few instances in which we would regard the two as substitutes.  (Though I can think of constructions involving deictics and existential where apparently the same usage can shift which verb carries it across languages.)  Would the linguistic form strongly prejudice the semantic domain, or does it entrain on a semantic domain that is mostly language- and culture-invariant?

I guess the psychologists and the philosophers have all this worked out.  Or maybe the contemplatives have systems for it.  But those are literatures I don’t cover.

Eric