[FRIAM] Selective cultural processes generate adaptive heuristics

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 13:06:17 EDT 2022

Your use of "regret" is a dead giveaway to your narrativity. A regret operator (even in formal settings) is only useful in contexts that assume both free-will and narrativity. Marcus' link citing our oft-discussed use of psychedelics to raise the "heat" in our "annealing" minds also targets that narrativity and regret operators. There's no reason to have a regret operator *unless* you can change your ephemeris with interventions like, say, a massive dose of LSD or a 3 day stay in an isolation tank.

But Nick, EricC, Jon, and I have discussed (ad nauseum) the difference between pragmati[ci]sm, where Peirce (vs the other American Pragmatists) still carries some sort of anti-nominalist/foundationalist idealism. I think the existence of a regret operator in your reflective thought may depend on that deeper structure more than it depends on conceptions of free-will and narrativity.

In a *very* open context, where not only the machinery changes as it chunks along, but the objective[s] change[s] through the iteration, regret can become locally scoped ... e.g. rather than an octogenarian regretting what they did when they were 20, one might only regret what one did 10 minutes ago but not regret the events of years ago. With such a tightly scoped regret, we can approach self-identified episodic personalities without being anti-nominalist/foundationalist. The foundation of that locally coherent self is simply "smaller" ... more particular, less general, more context dependent than full narrativity.

--
Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙