[FRIAM] Selective cultural processes generate adaptive heuristics

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 16:38:04 EDT 2022

Yeah, that article is typical Haidt, full of just enough good evidence to blind you to the sanctimonious doctrinal pedantry that surrounds it. Within several clumps of postulates, one clump as small as 2 sentences, he contradicts himself but somehow thinks the narrative stays coherent. Pffft.

*If* there is something structural about brain/CNS animals that allows further flex and slop between mind and body, that something ... that "muscle" ... will be exercised through generational turnover ... i.e. death. Trying to forcibly graft "our" (in scare quotes because I disagree with Haidt so starkly) nostalgia onto the evolving culture is guaranteed to fail.

p.s. An important element directly contradicting Haidt's "get off my lawn" is laid out here: https://doctorow.medium.com/the-algospeak-dialect-74961b4803b7 It takes me longer and longer to learn new lingo. And facility with a lingo is often used for gatekeeping.  But, from my own perspective, it's trivial to gauge the authenticity of an in-group's commitment to their gestalt by watching how they induct/indoctrinate proximal outsiders. I can still land an "E for effort" in most contexts, where I try anyway.

--
Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙