[FRIAM] Selective cultural processes generate adaptive heuristics

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 11:05:34 EDT 2022

I certainly hope I'm not winning you over, accidentally or otherwise. Your use of the word "fetish" is spot-on, in that such paraphilia is, ultimately, unhealthy <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_paraphilias> ... I guess barring the "everything in moderation" principle [⛧].

In fact, to be "won over" implies imprisonment, convicted to one's convictions. However, I also think it's unhealthy to, say, be so Luddite that you prefer "natural immunity" to vaccination ... or prefer your wood burning fireplace to natural gas heat ... or to demand to "talk to a person" rather than interacting with the phone tree. That hyper-traditionalism is *also* an unhealthy fetish and it's why, despite my conservatism, the neoreactionaries are so repulsive to me. As a conservative, I constantly find myself defending the Now against the fetishists of both the Yesterday and Tomorrow. Does that mean I have a Now fetish? Maybe. But it's more like a reaction to the non-Now fetishes around me.

[⛧] The interpretation of "everything in moderation" depends on where you put the parentheses. (Everything) (in moderation) implies you *should* do just a little bit of everything ... a little sky diving ... a little body modification ... a little Christianity ... a little crack cocaine, etc. But (Everything in moderation) implies that whatever it is you choose to do should be in moderation.

--
Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙