[FRIAM] The Starship and the Canoe

Barry MacKichan barry.mackichan at mackichan.com
Mon Aug 8 15:22:15 EDT 2022

I read “The Starship and the Canoe” quite a long time ago, and I
read a book (Baidarka) by George Dyson shortly after we moved to Seattle
in 1988.

I met him many years later. The director of the Institute for Advanced
Study was visiting Seattle, and there was a get-together at Charles
Simonyi’s in Seattle. My wife and I were invited because I had been a
member at IAS twice. Simonyi was one of my interviewers when I
interviewed for Microsoft, and after he left Microsoft he was (is?) the
chairman of the board of directors at the IAS because he had given them
boatloads of money. Anyway, George Dyson was there and we chatted for
about 15 minutes. At the time he was working on von Neumann’s
collected works — I don’t if anything was published from that
effort.

Another note. The second time I was at the Institute our oldest daughter
was in high school and complained it just wasn’t fair to have to
compete with one of Freeman Dyson’s daughters in her classes at
Princeton High.

— Barry