[FRIAM] Isness: Using Multi-Person VR to Design Peak Mystical-Type Experiences Comparable to Psychedelics

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 12:18:53 EDT 2022

Yeah, it's a common trope amongst video game haters, too ... something like the No True Scotsman fallacy. There was a thread on another forum extolling John Cleese's (like many an old white man's crusty mal-understanding of the world) suggestion that Wokeism is hurting "comedy". Just because old white men can't distinguish fantasy from reality doesn't mean kids can't. One of the more interesting things about, say, speed running a video game is trying to do it with different interfaces [⛧] ... similar to trying to brush your teeth with your off hand. We (anyone with a still plastic brain) can learn a "world" with one interface and translate that knowledge to a new interface. But what's more fantastic, that I think Dave can abide, is that one can also learn to swap out a multiplicity of "insides" while holding both the interface and the "outside" constant.

So a full parameter sweep runs orthogonally across the 3 axes:

• fix the inside, fix the interface, vary the outside
• fix the inside, vary the interface, fix the outside
• fix the inside, vary the interface, vary the outside
• vary the inside, fix the interface, fix the outside
• vary the inside, fix the interface, vary the outside
• vary the inside, vary the interface, fix the outside
• vary the inside, vary the interface, vary the outside

Of course, part of the point is that inside-interface and interface-outside aren't disjoint. I'm not sure I fully buy the behaviorists' rhetoric that it's a *continuum*. There could easily be a logical barrier in there somewhere, if only schematic. But attempts at the orthogonal sweep should help us see where the cross terms matter most.

[⛧] My black PS4 controller is terribly twitchy compared to my gold one. I died like 5 times getting my latest Dark Souls twink started. Pfft.

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ