[FRIAM] Game Theory!

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 18:25:50 EDT 2022

Since you brought up Pratchett: https://quantumfrontiers.com/2022/08/14/rocks-that-roll/

EricS: Those pocket synthesizers are very tempting. Thanks.

Gil: Yeah, this week's had a way better start. Still can't work out 'cause the construction crew has all their stuff packed in the area where I do it. [sigh] ... getting fatter by the hour!

Luck: IDK, man. I don't really believe in luck or unluck. But I do believe in selection or filtering. I think we've talked about it on the list, where we're wired to pay more attention to negative stuff than positive stuff. So noticing all the red stop lights and ignoring all the green ones might be related to thinking the rustling in the bush is a tiger. If it is a tiger, running was a good idea. If it's not a tiger, well you simply wasted a few calories, better safe than sorry ... however suspect evolutionary psychology might be. One challenge to my disbelief, though, is that I know a couple of people who really do seem to always be in the wrong place at the wrong time ... get rear-ended by an uninsured driver ... have their spouse degenerate with lupus ... allergic to pine nuts (?!?) ... on and on for a lifetime of hassle. The story of Job, I guess. Someone has to play the 6 sigma role.

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ