[FRIAM] dystopian vision(s)

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Mon Aug 15 22:04:42 EDT 2022

from glen's narrative the following quote:

"In summary, depending on how exactly one wants to define the word “simulate”, the concerns of Bostrom, et al., properly formalized, strongly suggest that augmenting our brains can never allow us to fully grasp / cognize / perceive our physical reality."

The hallucino-philia (and Buddhist epistemologists) would argue that our brains (minds) already fully grasp / cognize / perceive our physical reality. But, for survival purposes, it self-censors and presents our consciousness/awareness/attention with a small abstract subset of that reality—an illusion.

Drugs and meditation are 'subtractive' in that they dismantle the abstraction/reduction apparatus that generates the illusion hiding our 'full-grasping'.

If such a belief were "true" then "augmenting our brains" would be the exact opposite, and exceedingly harmful, approach ...

   ...   unless, the augmentation was a permanent [lsd | psylocibin | mescaline] drip.

re: mega-architecture. In my formative years (high school) I was a huge fan of architecture and the works of people like Soleri. I remember looking at a lot of designs for mega-cities from Japanese architects. Today, I think it would be interesting to look at some of the massive airports—Marrakesh, Dubai, and especially Singapore—to get a feel of what it might be like to live in The Line.

davew