[FRIAM] Competitive Excel

Gillian Densmore gil.densmore at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 13:03:45 EST 2022

theatlantic.com
<https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2022/12/world-cup-microsoft-excel/672320/?utm_campaign=article_email&utm_content=article-9334&utm_source=sg&utm_medium=email>
The Excel World Championship Is the Internet at Its Best
Jacob Stern
1–2 minutes
------------------------------
<https://accounts.theatlantic.com/products/gift/?source=giftbar22>

The World Cup of Microsoft Excel

How can watching people fiddle with spreadsheets possibly be this fun?
[image: People dancing in front of the Microsoft Excel logo]
Getty; The Atlantic

A few weeks ago, you very likely missed what were very likely the most
thrilling moments in the history of Microsoft Excel. Allow me to set the
scene: The semifinal of the Excel World Championship was streaming
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfDq5dlp2o4> live on YouTube and ESPN3.
Defending champion Andrew Ngai had steamrolled his previous three
opponents, but he now trailed the unseeded newcomer Brittany Deaton
316–390—not an insignificant margin, but by no means insurmountable.
“Andrew is lost,” GolferMike1 commented in the YouTube chat. “He’s shaken.”
The game clock ticked under four minutes.

Never miss a story. Start your free trial.

Uncompromising quality. Enduring impact.
Your support ensures a bright future for independent journalism.

Get Started
<https://accounts.theatlantic.com/products/free-trial/?source=gate_below_fold>

Already have an account? Sign in. <https://accounts.theatlantic.com/login/>