[FRIAM] Tom Lester songs released from copyright

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 12:13:13 EST 2022

Ha! I accidentally cut-n-pasted "write a song with the intellectual wit of TL", intending to replace TL with Tom Lehrer, but didn't. This is what it gave me:

> Verse 1:
> I was just a young man, trying to find my way
> Thought I knew it all, but then I heard you say
> "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing"
>
> Chorus:
> TL, you've got that intellectual wit
> You cut through the noise and get to the heart of it
> You show me the way, you make me think
> TL, you've got that intellectual wit
>
> Verse 2:
> You've got a way with words, you know just what to say
> You never shy away from the hard questions to weigh
> You challenge me to be my best, to seek the truth and not to rest
>
> Chorus:
> TL, you've got that intellectual wit
> You cut through the noise and get to the heart of it
> You show me the way, you make me think
> TL, you've got that intellectual wit
>
> Bridge:
> You open up my mind, you help me to see
> All the possibilities, all the potential in me
> You inspire me to be more, to reach for the stars
> With your guidance, I know I can go far
>
> Chorus:
> TL, you've got that intellectual wit
> You cut through the noise and get to the heart of it
> You show me the way, you make me think
> TL, you've got that intellectual wit

Then I replaced TL with Tom Lehrer and this is what it gave me:

> Verse 1:
> I was just a young man, trying to make sense of it all
> Thought I knew it all, but then I heard Tom Lehrer call
> "The world is a mess, and I just need to confess
> I'm feeling depressed, but at least I can express
> My thoughts through song, and maybe I can't go wrong
> If I use my wit to make the people sing along"
>
> Chorus:
> Tom Lehrer, he's got that intellectual wit
> He cuts through the noise and gets to the heart of it
> He shows us the way, he makes us think
> Tom Lehrer, he's got that intellectual wit
>
> Verse 2:
> With his clever lyrics and his catchy melodies
> He tackles the issues that no one else dares to see
> He's not afraid to speak the truth, no matter how harsh
> He's a master of satire, and a pioneer of the art
>
> Chorus:
> Tom Lehrer, he's got that intellectual wit
> He cuts through the noise and gets to the heart of it
> He shows us the way, he makes us think
> Tom Lehrer, he's got that intellectual wit
>
> Bridge:
> He's a man ahead of his time, with a sharp tongue and a sharp mind
> He's a beacon of light in a world that's often blind
> He's a master of wordplay, and a genius of song
> He's the one we turn to when we need to sing along
>
> Chorus:
> Tom Lehrer, he's got that intellectual wit
> He cuts through the noise and gets to the heart of it
> He shows us the way, he makes us think
> Tom Lehrer, he's got that intellectual wit

So, I'm guessing the answer is "No". >8^D Well, TANSTAAFL, I guess. If you trained it, embedded it with nuance, etc. ... then yes, sure. But "it" wouldn't be "writing" the song. Lehrer, you, and the host of algorithm tweakers of the past will have "wrote" it. One thing these AIs *should* be teaching us is what the postmodernists warned us about: the built environment is not so separable from nature as we think.

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ