[FRIAM] Friday AM

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Dec 30 19:36:36 EST 2022

On 12/30/22 1:32 PM, glen wrote:
> Interesting tangent. As always, I only post when I feel like I have
> something to disagree with (or fine-tune in a way that might seem
> contrarian). I feel like the closing on whim or choosing hours that
> may be inconvenient for a population is how we *should* do business.
> There's nothing more inhuman/inhumane than, say, shopping at Safeway
> at 2am because you *know* a multinational corporation is trying to
> squeeze that last blood from the market (and its employees).
>
> Convenience is one face of the Janus. Another is the optimized self
> ... e.g. tracking your footsteps to make sure you get them all in for
> the day ... or counting calories ... or Amazon-style, Taylorist
> "quantified self". *In*convenience is life. Attempts to avoid it are
> akin to suicide. And inconvenience is also pro-social. There's nothing
> more inconvenient than providing social support for a fellow human,
> sick puppy, or diseased ecosystem.
>
> So, when I see a "gone fishing" sign on a local business, I get a bit
> of a dopamine kick. Good for you, dude.

It might also be worth noting that this "renormalization" leaves room
for excellence...  surely there will be *some* small businesses and
individuals who will excel by striving to expand or refine their "value
proposition"...

I can see silver linings throughout but I  think there will be "ringing"
in many dimensions. As for me, I am happy with my new "lowered
expectations" and even, as you suggest, can applaud a "gone fishing"
sign...

My own interests in optimization tend toward expanding circles of
context... in my youth (at least into my 30s) the circle was rarely much
larger than my self, my nuclear family, my neighborhood, my workplace.
Nowadays it has become dizzyingly large and too often abstract...
probably to the point of absurdity and ineffectuality.

  It was safer and perhaps saner when I limited my optimization
ideations to people and places I interacted with daily...   I also
discovered "satisficing" vs "optimising"  in my 30s which was a
significant relief, and allowed more degrees of freedom in my
optimization/satisficing intentions/habits.

"Good enough for who it's for" is a much better mantra, IMO than the
usual "... for government work".