[FRIAM] Double Master Function (was Re: bad covid story)

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Feb 3 16:15:09 EST 2022

On 2/3/22 12:31 PM, glen wrote:
> Well, I'm not sure what Martin is on to next. But his participation in
> the upcoming Elden Ring lore seemed to exhibit he had some ambitions
> left. Since he names Zelazny as inspiration, maybe there's a sliver of
> possibility there. If we could only get Peter Jackson, that'd push it
> through. 8^D
>
> I'll check out The Moon and the Sun. I don't remember you mentioning
> it before.

tM&S might not be your cup of tea, I don't know.  I probably mentioned
Vonda to you when I looked you up in Portland 6 years ago... I was on my
way (among other things) to visit with her in Seattle.  Her Starfarers'
trilogy (from the 1980s) might be the most apt for a harder SF
preference.   She got a big shot in the publishing arm when she was
contracted to do the novelization of the Trekkie "Wrath of Khan"... upon
release, her publisher then had the numbers to republish and repromote
her backlist at that point.

Vonda who had a degree in (molecular?) biology or genetics or both,
diverged somewhat from her more typical hard SF with this one which is
nominally a period historical fiction with the twist that "what if Louis
XIV's explorers encountered mer-persons?"  and the rest somewhat
follows.  The movie follows the same theme but more tritely.   In the
book, the protaganist is a young woman whose brother is the court
Natural Scientist who herself aspires to "do science".  Her brother's
duties in court (hanging out with the King and playing intrigue with the
other courtiers) left room for his sister to use his facilities and
influence to do her own work.   When the explorers brought back a
handful of specimens of Mer-Creatures she studied them with a different
eye than the King and others who simply wanted to tap into their
(mythologized) immortality.     So it was also a story of female agency,
capability and empowerment.   Most of Vonda's work had strong elements
of that.  She also wrote a number of books that worked well for both
Young and Older Adults, of which tM&S could be included.

Vonda was *highly* conflicted herself over the attention given to her by
Robert Heinlein who claims his titular character Friday was inspired by
her.   She whispered to me during the Nebulas when that was mentioned:
"He may have been a fucking Chauvanist Pig but who can resist being
promoted by 'the Dean of Science Fiction'?" or some such.   She never
married nor had any long-term romantic partnerships that I knew of but
her writing contained a lot of same-gender and polyamorous (group
family) relationships.

The as-yet-released novel she was working on when she was diagnosed is
supposedly now (her last push) finished and ready for publication
(according to her, literally 2 weeks before her death).  She described
it to me as nominally *also* a historical fiction of a similar ilk, but
more of an epic perhaps, describing the long-slow-slide of the Minoan
civilization.    As per the definition of former SFWA president (and ABQ
resident) Stephen C Gould, the difference between SF and Fantasy is that
in SF, one singular known fact is changed (faster than light travel,
time travel, wormhole, infinite cheap energy, etc.) and everything else
ensues from that, while in Fantasy, *everything* is up for grabs (e.g.
Magic) and everything ensues from that!

Zelazny's Amber-schtick seems to follow *somewhat* from that idea...  in
some sense, it seems as if everything Magical he invoked was somehow a
natural consequence of the schmear of physical laws across the schmear
of parallel worlds suspended between the antipodes of Logos and Chaos
(my interpretation of his deal)...