[FRIAM] Object Constancy Followup

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 08:55:41 EST 2022

1. in object relations theory, *the ability of an infant to maintain an
attachment that is relatively independent of gratification or frustration*,
based on a cognitive capacity to conceive of a mother who exists when she
is out of sight and who has positive attributes when she is unsatisfying.

Whether this was elaborated by Otto Kernberg, Margaret Mahler or other
psychoanalysts it's rooted in Freudian thought.

Also, in my psych grad student online reunion the self observations that
came up related to aging included impulsivity and loss of fine motor
control in addition to memory and balance problems.

That was a fun meeting we had yesterday, I think.

Frank

---
Frank C. Wimberly
140 Calle Ojo Feliz,