[FRIAM] The Insurrection Index

Jochen Fromm jofr at cas-group.net
Fri Jan 7 13:30:28 EST 2022

A good question. What is democracy and how can it turn into authoritarianism or fascism? There are a number of good books about fascism, like "The Anatomy of Fascism" from Robert Paxton, but as far as I know there is no agent-based model how a democratic backsliding works in terms of agents, systems and subsystems.I would like to work in my free time on an agent-based model how countries can experience a democratic backsliding into an authoritarian system. The site https://www.democratic-erosion.com/ has a number of good links, for example to the books from Acemoglu & Robinson (e.g. "Economic Origins of Dictatorship and Democracy") or to the book "What is populism?" from Jan-Werner Müller.Anyone else interested in this topic?-J.
-------- Original message --------From: glen <gepropella at gmail.com> Date: 1/6/22  15:36  (GMT+01:00) To: friam at redfish.com Subject: Re: [FRIAM] The Insurrection Index I hear that quote repeated and I can't help but think it's a bit exceptionalist. I'm no scholar of types of government. But the quote, and the sentiment, always seems flawed to me, as if "democracy" were well defined. I mean, if we can call the US and the many European governments "democracies", all in the same vague class, with all the different voting protocols, representation methods, local -> national hierarchy, etc., what can the word really even mean? It's just too vague to hold the water implied by "all the other one's we've tried".On 1/5/22 18:58, Steve Smith wrote:> "The *worst* form of government, except for all the other one's we've tried!"   I suppose it is time to try some other forms of "governANCE" ?-- glenTheorem 3. There exists a double master function..-- .- -. - / .- -.-. - .. --- -. ..--.. / -.-. --- -. .--- ..- --. .- - .FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listservZoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn UTC-6  bit.ly/virtualfriamun/subscribe http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.comFRIAM-COMIC http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/archives: 5/2017 thru present https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/ 1/2003 thru 6/2021  http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/