[FRIAM] NOW IS: Oh, Woe, Academia! WAS: gene complex for homosexuality

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Fri Jan 14 13:13:50 EST 2022

Nick writes:

< I long for the days of the egg-head professor with the elbow patches in the tweed jacket, taking his summer vacations in an unplumbed shack in the Adirondacks with his Remington Upright.  Yes, the sixties university was institutionally classist, racist, sexist, cis-ist,  and probably a bunch of other -ists.  But, nostalgic old fart that I am, I still think something has been lost. >

Maybe it is just me, but the world of investor-fueled Theranos type companies don't seem like a sustainable way to do research.   The investors are often ignoramuses for one thing.   Maybe when they have a lot of money, and maybe if you are on the winning side of such an investment it is great for long enough to become independently wealthy.   But it seems psychologically damaging too, even to the winners.  Yeah, I like to rail on academics and SFI-type academics especially, but there is something about the greedy search algorithms inherent in the startup world that just doesn't get to the bottom of things, or even try​ to start from the bottom.   It is opportunistic.  And indeed "big science" is great for some types of questions with their particle accelerators, neutron imaging, and so on, but someone needs to fret over the basic questions on a longer horizon.  I don't think they should probably be The Elites as they sometimes fancy themselves, but they are needed.

Marcus