[FRIAM] NOW IS: Oh, Woe, Academia! WAS: gene complex for homosexuality

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 14:16:36 EST 2022

The non-disjoint distinction between scholar and academic is useful for me. I'm neither. And watching my scholarly and academic friends do their jobs can be fascinating. The academics spend a huge amount of time raising funds, writing proposals, playing psychologist with colleagues, etc. ... everything one does in other bureaucracies like corporations and what I imagine the national labs are like. The scholars spend the majority of their time pushing pencils, but in the service of deeper patterns they (think they) see. One scholar who happened to be a colleague at a dot-com I worked at studied ancient texts and artifacts. At work, he was a typical IT guy. But at home, he was driven by cataloguing things. A guy I met the other day is a cryptozoologist who is driven by taxonomies of mythological beasts like bigfoot. I guess I'm more bedazzled by scholars than academics, regardless of where they find their home.

--
glen
Theorem 3. There exists a double master function.