[FRIAM] health care logistics

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Fri Jan 21 11:57:52 EST 2022

Another way Musk profits from the collapse of global infrastructure.  Smart!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-21/elon-musk-offering-satellite-internet-to-tsunami-hit-tonga

On Jan 21, 2022, at 8:50 AM, glen <gepropella at gmail.com> wrote:

Well, except that this solipsism betrays a profound similarity between the cheerful billionaire exploiter and the unfixable deplorables. It's almost psychotically self-centered. I can imagine a slow, corrupting process where I would if I could, as well. But that transformation would have to be complete closure to prevent any light of empathy or sympathy from peeking in and popping the boil.

I suppose people like Gates are more interesting than Musk, shambling about extruding money according to an opaque template ... less transparently ideological than Musk's profiteering. All philanthropy smacks of this sort of thing, though, Effective Altruism being the worst of the bunch. Power corrupts. It's not a lesson the non-powerful can actually learn, though. So it's a good thing to keep around a nicely scaled gradation of the super rich and the destitute poor, with some walkability up and down the scale. That way we can, as a collective, re-learn the lesson that power corrupts on a steady basis. The assumption of equality prevents that lesson from being re-learned. The absurdity of philanthropy and poverty are "collateral damage" in service of the latent trait, spoken as a well-off white man born into a racist patriarchy, anyway.