[FRIAM] New Mexico Rivers and Navigable Servitude [was: One of many things the country is fucked on]

Stephen Guerin stephen.guerin at simtable.com
Fri Jan 21 12:16:53 EST 2022

Cody,

Noticed that issue made international news and was covered by the Guardian
in 2018.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/mar/15/privatized-rivers-us-public-lands-waterways

I suspect you're aware but didn't mention is Federal doctrine of
"Navigable Servitude" that ties navigability to State Ownership that
prevents the riverbed from converting to private land.

   - See:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navigable_servitude
   -
   https://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Wiki/stewardship:navigability
    Note from this article the concept of proving "Susceptibly of Commerce"
   " If the river has ever been demonstrably been used for commerce, then
   it can readily be found navigable under federal law. However, many states
   have also accepted demonstrations that the waterway is merely capable of
   commerce as proof of susceptibility.

   Commerce refers to the ability to transport goods to or from market, or
   for sale. Commerce inherently includes the right of navigation. Commerce
   and therefore navigation includes transportation of timber, as well as
   transport by barge traffic or oceangoing ships. Some states have also
   accepted evidence of use by a commercial raft company, or kayak or canoe
   school as evidence of commercial navigability.

   If the river was used for transporting goods for sale prior to
   statehood, then the river is clearly navigable by federal definition. As
   such, the bed and the bank up to the mean high water mark are owned by the
   state and held in trust for the public."

It would be interesting to have a site to track craft GPS and imagery to
continue to maintain public ownership. The Realtime.Earth app could be a
kind of crowdsourced RiverView ala Google Street View. I also wonder what
would qualify as craft as navigation. Certainly barges with no onboard
pilots and dragged by mules on the side and "remote piloting" qualified. I
would think a legal argument could be made drone craft with GPS and
cameras qualify as navigation craft. Also would be safer given the barbed
wire obstacles.

WRT to establishing commerce, we can set up a Culinary Mushroom delivery
service where supply is put in on the river (up or downstream as a drone
boat can probably handle it) and customers retrieve the Culinary (or other)
mushrooms somewhere else. Citizens can buy a Crypto Coin to support the
project as well as convert their Coins as they are backed by mushrooms. As
we've talked about at the office, this could be the worlds first Fungible
Currency and imagery could be sold as Fungible Tokens :-)

-Stephen

Stephen.Guerin at Simtable.com <stephen.guerin at simtable.com>
CEO, Simtable  http://www.simtable.com
1600 Lena St #D1, Santa Fe, NM 87505
office: (505)995-0206 mobile: (505)577-5828
twitter: @simtable
z <http://zoom.com/j/5055775828>oom.simtable.com