[FRIAM] Communication guides for the elderly

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 15:06:16 EST 2022

Eric, You Souless Heathen,

I feel it is my duty as the group’s only Silent, to go all rationalistic on all you xers, and zers, and boomers, and whatevers.   Besides, Eric IS, demonstrably, trying to get my goat here.

So: FWIW, I use ellipses to indicate hesitation, sometimes for irony,  roughly equivalent to “for lack of a better word”, “not to put to fine a point on it”, or, more simply, “um.”

What I did want to press on the group was a wonder I have always had since the sixties when “fuck” went middle class.  What questions does it raise in the mind of the young when a word for “love making” takes on all these aggressive and exploitative meanings.  Eric claimed  that only in the caverns of a 50’s Freudian mind could these usages imply anything at all.  I just can’t believe that.  (Eric’s point perhaps proven.)   Certainly, a child, wondering why adults are so secretive and obsessed about sex, and listening to how words for are so blatantly used, might come to assume that that sex is an occasion for one person to do harm to another.  Now I grant you that children assume that adults get up to a  lot of stupid things that children just don’t need to attend to, and that that boundary provides a lot of protection for kids.  But still! Give how little we know about the origins of sexual and gender identity, would it make sense to pay some attention to the categories we adults so vigorously assemble with our words?

No?

Nick Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/