[FRIAM] Cautionary Tales: CliFi

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Thu Jan 27 19:17:50 EST 2022

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-04281-w

From: Friam <friam-bounces at redfish.com> On Behalf Of Steve Smith
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2022 4:05 PM
To: friam at redfish.com
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Cautionary Tales: CliFi

I read quite a bit of existential-threat/remediation non-fiction as well, and sometimes it is hard to tell the difference because while the non-fiction (technical) is generally accurate to the details, it is always describing "a spherical cow", thus the "plausable on the surface" answers.   I worked a few years on a critical infrastructure protection modeling project (more from a resiliency to terrorism than to climate and other change, but focused on cascading failures). I also worked  among hurricane/disaster response teams as well.  It gave me a disturbing view of just how *systemically* vulnerable we all are.

Of course, the wealthy (really, currently middle-class and above) are fairly insulated from the (current) effects, but the threshold of who is affected and how deeply seems to be rising.  I think it is part of the reason that many of the well-off tend toward policies like building border walls and voter suppression... they see the stresses on the infrastructure putting their (our) privileged position at higher and higher risk as the overheated, hungry, etc. masses start to roil more (domestic and from the global south).   This is easier to think about than actually addressing/mitigating the deeper causes... and the results tend to be quicker, more obvious and therefore more satisfying in the moment.

Overshoot in several dimensions is already underway and the inertial properties are easy to underestimate.

I feel like THIS forum has become more open/supportive of discussing these topics than even 2-3 years ago... probably too small, too little and too late, but better than nothing.

Steve,

In the Bay Area, and in other places there is a trend toward electrification.  It sounds plausible on the surface, but to go all the way means solar for water and for electricity.  Most houses within financial reach for most people don't have the square footage to support all that.   Consider that a smaller electric on-demand hot water heater could draw 75 amps flat out.   There's no reasonable way to get lithium batteries that can absorb that kind of load.   That would be $50k just to even start on the batteries never mind the panels.   If not that, then one must give up (often limited) lot space for the tube style solar, which really isn't all that efficient.
The "freedom from the utility" is just not going to happen except in the posh South San Francisco type areas.   Meanwhile the utilities want to penalize individual solar producers because they stress the grid.

Meanwhile, if the price of gasoline goes north of $5 / gallon, people are screaming bloody murder.   Why isn't it $20?   No, these folks (which is mostly everyone it seems) aren't going to be joining the 2000-watt society.   And then there's the Manchin types holding out to keep coal​ afloat?   Don't we just deserve to suffer at this point?  At least we could try but fail to develop and deploy replacements.   That non-fiction would be interesting reading.

Marcus