[FRIAM] Cautionary Tales: CliFi

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Fri Jan 28 12:05:10 EST 2022

I can sort of see why Musk is annoying to scientists because he tends to use ideas and technology that already exist.
So, what is he really adding?   Neuralink is in this category.    That company is making the technology work at a larger scale and at lower power and making the surgery repeatable.  The company (not him) is making it practical and approaching it like a product.   Some scientists are prone to thinking that engineering is a not a thing or that a product mindset is just superficial.   Or even that money doesn't matter.

I'm less enamored with Musk's futurism than I am appalled at tunnel vision, overspecialization, and risk aversion of so many others.   The annoyance people have at Musk can only be because they must acknowledge his influence.   And seeing that influence they conclude he is somehow responsible for the world in the way that, say, Joe Biden is responsible for the world.  Or as Feynman put it,  “You have no responsibility to live up to what other people think you ought to accomplish. I have no responsibility to be like they expect me to be. It's their mistake, not my failing.”   What would be the point of being a billionaire if you couldn't at least be the dork you want to be?

Before Space X had customers and a track record, there were all the NASA old fogies saying he'd be killing people and he could not possibly do it.  Am I glad to see them so wrong?  Yes.  It is not because he is the best or some Tony Stark.   It is because they are the worst.

Marcus