[FRIAM] primordial or primeval?

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Fri Jul 1 15:52:35 EDT 2022

Yes, good questions, and because I am far outside this field, I can parrot things I have been told, but not check against any adequate understanding of my own.

> On Jun 29, 2022, at 12:04 AM, glen <gepropella at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Very helpful. So for primordial objects, it sounds like we'd be looking for flashes in an otherwise/almost ambient field, as opposed to distortions of an otherwise steady/bright object.

I think, for microlensing, that the distribution of BHs transiting in front of something would be about as uniform as any of the rest of the clustered matter around at the same time-depth (redshift).  A wider object (like a galaxy nearby enough that you can see it as having angular width) should (I assume) be harder to see lensed with a single BH, just because the BH would be small compared to what you can already see, so wouldn’t add much light.  Something dot-like would be easier to identify, because the BH would be gathering a little more light in your direction that would otherwise have shined to one side or the other of your telescope.  But the dot could be an isolated star if not too far away or not in too dense a field, or a galaxy if much further away.  I do wonder if the middle-distance, where most of what you can see are resolvable galaxies, is a kind of observational desert just because of the method limitations; a microlensing expert could tell us.  Maybe one compared pixel by pixel in the image.

> If we find too few (scaling up however for estimates of the unobserved), then it's evidence against. What I was wondering was more around the sizes. The primordial ones must be smaller, I'd guess.

What was said to me is that the primordial ones from early matter-density fluctuations would have become around solar-mass fairly early on.  But the expansion of the universe at that time would have been so fast that it would have created fairly wide separations among them quickly, making them a kind of quasi-uniformly-distributed dust in the sky.

> But they'd have to be everywhere at first (most distant), then clumping together over time (closer).

This statement sounds exactly like my understanding of the assertions.

> And I can't help but wonder if the anisotropic clumping could explain those puffy galaxies light on dark matter.

Yeah, nice connection.  Goes beyond what I know, so I can’t offer anything back.

Eric