[FRIAM] self-care

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Jul 2 11:54:15 EDT 2022

Eric wrote:
> Yeah, the theme of performative cruelty as a social movement has now
> fully found and asserted its identity.
>
> I wonder when the rest of us decide this is enough of a threat to need
> an organized response, and how we do that.

Having just recently toured the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam and
walking the streets of Weesp, seeing brass plaques memorializing the
jewish families taken (and almost consistently exterminated) by the
Nazis, I am freshly sensitized to how fast and how bad things can get...
especially recognizing that this all happened in my parent's
lifetimes.   Mary's mother was born the same day/year as Anne Frank and
identified with her from the time her diaries were released in English
(early 50s).   Another friend's parents were at Nuremberg for the trials
(Belgian mother worked service for the Allies and father was an MP
guarding those on trial). All of this generation are dead now but we
heard (some of) their stories growing up.

We also met (on our European travels) our own generation (moslty
professional class) who still remember growing up in the aftermath of
WWII, bombed out buildings, machine gun holes in walls, etc. Their
perspective on the Russian invasion of Ukraine is a bit sharper than
mine has been.   The few "strangers" we spoke with about US politics
were very circumspect... this would be service people we met along the
way, usually somewhat displaced by EU opportunities (e.g Czech in his
30s driving a bus in Iceland) and pretty careful about making
assumptions about our politics when discussing (at first)... I didn't
run into anyone casually (or otherwise) who was openly populist or right
wing.  On individual issues, we did meet our share of anti-globalists
and anti-progress (i.e. Brexit, Windmills, etc), however...

The forces of anger/intolerance always seem to have a certain kind of
transitory upper-hand...   if you don't stand up to them you lose, but
if you stand up to them too strongly you risk becoming them and lose
doubly. And yet, those periods of extreme always seem to burn themselves
out? /
/

/Performative cruelty/ *is* a very apt term.