[FRIAM] 5G

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Jul 14 21:31:52 EDT 2022

On 7/14/22 6:53 PM, Frank Wimberly wrote:
> Why would I need 5G cell service?  I never download anything that
> takes more than a few seconds.

you don't...

I mostly don't need (or have available) over 3G, but it is good my phone
is 4G capable because when I travel to places with good 4G I often don't
have WiFi access so I set it up as a hot-spot which sometimes includes
streaming HD+ (sometimes 2x stereo for Oculus)

When I lived on 110bps (acoustically coupled) dialup I wondered at how I
would ever (legitimately) use more than 1200bps (sneering at the folks
jonesing for 56kbps)

IMO, as with disease vs epidemiology, an important point of higher
capacity networks is that the constrained resources (wires, fibres,
right-of-ways, towers, aether, etc) are used more efficiently (by orders
of magnitude) with each Generation..  This helps (firstly) the service
provider/industry but (lastly) also the customers.   Just think how much
twisted pair copper would be required to support all the 300bps modems
it would take to provide even a fraction of the bandwidth we use
casually every second of every day.

I'm not a fan of "progress-for-progress-sake" but it does seem
inevitable within it's own internal logic.  This references a thread
Glen just weighed in on which fascinates me, but I'm too busy rebuilding
a new (to me) 2012 Macbook pro to backfill for the 2010 that finally got
too flaky to repair (at my level of understanding)...

True to form, I will probably leapfrog to AR contacts or direct
cortex-link in a year (or decade) and eventually wonder how I ever
bothered with "screens" and "keyboards" and "pointing devices"... or
else the noosphere/biosphere will collapse under the weight of our
runaway progress-for-the-sake-of-progress.

- (g)Rumble