[FRIAM] Web 3 is going great!

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 10:14:17 EDT 2022

Interesting take. It reminds me of Stockholm Syndrome and abusive relationships. I've made disruptive runs at ad hominem, hume's guillotine, appeal to authority, and petitio principii. I have yet to make a run at the slippery slope. I had 2 recent opportunities to do so, 1) regarding consent and 2) re: populism. My bougie post is a bit of a start and your defense of MLM propogation is similar. Peter Singer gives us a foundation by arguing that bestiality doesn't *necessarily* represent the abuse of animals. Maybe the sheep likes it when the farmer has their way? Maybe we should take Alison Mack's explicit *consent* to becoming a branded slave and slave recruiter seriously? Maybe the wife enjoys being beaten?

These slopes are obviously slippery. But one that's not so obvious is the asymmetric relationship between the actually powerful and the bougie. E.g. when *I* buy crypto, given that I not only know what they are, what distributed ledgers are, how to do some cryptography, a bit of math, a lot of programming, a lot of systems engineering and supply chain analysis, I really am giving my consent. Like you say, the person selling the Amway products just because they enjoy it and like some of the products isn't necessarily being scammed or scamming others.

The problem is analogous to the redefinition of racism. Racism used to be widely used to *cover* individual prejudice. But as the language evolves, racism is coming to target less visible, systemic infrastructure. The small-minded right doesn't see that. The intellectual right does see it, but purposefully obfuscates. Buying Amway products makes you complicit, whether you understand that or not. ... similar to the insanity defense. I actually don't care if you murdered 17 children because you're insane or radicalized by Fox News or whatever. You still need to die, humanely, regardless of your motivations. Ideas don't matter. Actions do. Maybe that's why I can't bring myself to make a full-throated defense of slippery sloped conclusions like bestiality or "radical democracy".

--
Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙