[FRIAM] Web 3 is going great!

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 11:04:10 EDT 2022

The MLM is only a problem if a) they make you put in a big investment of
capital or b) you actually think you will get rich off of it. If you don't
have to outlay cash, and you think you'll get some tupperware (or whatever)
and make a few $100 out of it, and then you actually get some tupperware
and make a few $100 out of it, then everything about it is fine. If, in
contrast, they make you get an initial purchase of $10,000 worth of
product, with promises you'll flip it for $50,000 in no time, and that
you'll recruit people under you for passive income that is more than that
annually, and then none of that happens and you are stuck with $10K worth
of junk you couldn't afford in your garage... then you have a problem.

So, I agree with what you said regarding being "complicit", so long as we
agree that you only "complicit" in the activity you are part of - that is,
I don't think it is fair to label someone as complitic with anything that
vaguely resembles the thing they are part of. For example, if someone is in
an innocuous local riding club, they are not thereby complicit in the
existence of biker gangs. If someone claimed, "You are in a group that
rides together, and some groups that ride together also kill people, so you
are complicit in those deaths" neither of us would think that was a good
argument... right?

Even the technical savvy doesn't distinguish  a Web3 scam from a non-web3
scam as much as you would think. Pretty much every real life scam is based
on information asymmetry, and much of leans on a lack of technical
sophistication in the buyer. It's different technical skills, to be sure,
but the inability to trace out what's included in a credit-default swap is
technical in the same way the inability to read smart-contract code is
technical.

Scams exist in real life, all over the place. Even A+++ rated securities
can turn out to be garbage, and the rating companies are still in business
and somehow still trusted. It is baffling all over.

If there is something that Web3 adds to the general problem of scams, it is
that often you can't know who the agents are. Not just that you don't know,
but it could be undeterminable, due to the additional anonymity that is not
possible with a live MLM or investment scam. That was leaned on heavily in
the article Roger and Frank shared. Someone can claim to be a member of a
certain race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orinetation, etc., but if you never
see them, how would you know? Answer: You wouldn't. So if that is *THE*
reason you are getting into a project, don't do it unless the founders are
completely doxxed. Easy day.

<echarles at american.edu>