[FRIAM] not impressed

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Jun 3 10:26:45 EDT 2022

I saw but didn't follow the link from a thumbnail referencing Musk's
father giving (White) So. African ideals credit for his son's success,
etc.   I'm not as harsh on Musk as you are, but I get your gist on this
and don't disagree in general.

It is a sensitive enough topic perhaps but I would like it if anyone
with more So.African experience (e.g. Pieter?) could weigh in on the
perspective of what *I* identify as
manic-hypercapitalistic/patriarchal/colonization syndrome shared by the
US and several other breakaway Euro-colonies (South Africa, Australia in
particular).   I use those perjorative terms with some fondness as that
is what I was born and raised amongst.  That was my petri-dish.  In some
ways, my version (working cowboys, timbermen, truckers and roughneck oil
riggers) is possibly more high-test than some here.   Moving on to a
scientific/technical study/profession in *it's* heyday possibly only
aggravated the worst of that, many tech entrepreneurs (or guns-for-hire)
are pretty much the same thing but take their showers at the start of
the day instead of the end.   I have been rewarded well for being a
(surely weak and flawed by the standards of this group) right-brained,
ambitious, linear logical-positivist.

I am currently meandering through Northern France into Belgium,
experiencing things like +/-1c Roman Ruins next to 10c cathedrals and
castles and villages that were the site of WWI and WWII occupation first
by the Germans and then by their "liberators". The countryside, and
people and commerce in these remote villages feels like it could be set
in any century since the enlightenment (if you ignore the very
occasional automobile or the giant windmills on the horizon).   The
number of jet contrails is amazingly low compared to *any* part of the
US.   Things seem so much more decentralized and human-scale slow,
etc.   That doesn't include the manic day we careened into Paris, parked
*under* the Louvre, did a "been there-done-that tour" then drove out
during rush hour (bad planning) including a (n accidental)
circumambulation of the Arc du Triomphe on the way out.  The level of
manic in Paris rivaled the best I've felt in Rome, San Francisco or even
NYC (especially in the Arc du Roundy-round as the Wisconsonites wouild
call it?).

I haven't seen a single American with a MAGA hat as I did in 2018 on my
way to Stockholm (several overpolite, overbearing men). Greta was in the
news and I even hand-carried an effigy from a Lakota friend to deliver
to her family (friends of our hosts there) and had a vision of making up
MAGA hats which replace GREAT with GRETA (by simply inverting the AT, (
Glen could conjure the Unicode for that methinks) and deftly swap those
in for people I meet with their MAGA on.

https://www.indy100.com/media-library/image.jpg

    /Fridays are for 'F you boomer!'//
    /

At the /Musee du Matisse/ the Anglais speaking docent was quick to
recognize our 'murrican accents (and dress, grooming and silhouette?)
and was proud to tell us that they had "Just had two Texans in here last
week".  That could mean *anything* but I wanted to say "I'm sorry" but
that would have been too subtle for our language/culture differences,
and in fact i know *plenty* of good Texans.   But then there is the
saying in Santa Fe "Texans go home, leave your wallets" which I could
almost imagine Euros mumbling about 'murricans as we leave each place.

- Ramble