[FRIAM] These women might be able to tolerate Friam

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Jun 7 06:08:18 EDT 2022

FriAM is far from dead IMO, but I do suspect we are somewhat
narrower/canalized than we need to be (or not, because in fact we are
what we are?).  I think it is a loss that we don't have more women's
voices here more often, and I do appreciate those who manage to weigh
in, and lament those we may have driven away with our ???
nature/style?     I know we have bored/irritated plenty of men off the
list (or into lurking the shadows) as well.

One of the consistent themes in Graeber's "Dawn of Everything" is his
cogitations on Matriarchal/Patriarchal but with the acknowledgement of a
higher dimension that removes/ignores/displaces the "arch" part.   For
example, there are many Matrilineal cultures where there is still a
Patriarch (king) running the show, treating his subjects as "children"
like a stern (and/or loving) father would but whose heir to power would
be his eldest nephew on a sister's side (his mother's filial
grandson).   Another example was a culture where all figuration/art
depicted women larger than men and going about more
leaderly/administrative tasks but the men still being hunters and warriors.

Thanks for the offering of your blog-entry.  I commented on that-there
in the spirit of Glen's admonition of our conflating different mediums,
using a mail-list for the "wrong" purpose. While I am used to, in my
life, recognizing that I am "doing it wrong!" (again), I accept that
there are accepted standards and seek to follow/align with them when I
can.  Over-subscription to norms can lead to canalization, but then some
canalization is good.  Where would the grandeur of the Grand Canyon be
if everything were a floodplain?  I offer you the Great Basin and Salt
Lake/Flats that go with it, fascinating in their own right!