[FRIAM] AOL 3.0!

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Jun 7 11:41:02 EDT 2022

Glen wrote:

> Just yesterday, I saw an email post to a math forum from someone with
> an aol.com suffix. I thought "Who in hell still uses AOL?" Ha! Now
> I've got a bad case of FOMO. But I'll be damned if I'm joining yet
> another Discord server ... maybe next week.

I was recently back in touch with a high-school chum.  She was quite
proud of her aol.com account and I didn't have the heart to tell her how
much the olde garde who had been on some version of the internet before
Al Gore (and AOL and Compuserve) invented it considered AOL users to be
an embarrassment.  And then there are the WELL (whole earth 'lectronic
link) folks who were (in?) ordinately proud of their Bay Area BBS system
that hosted thousands (tens of?) in the 80s.  I still have friends who
use their well.com addys proudly.

I am still a little mad/dismissive of AOL (and SciAm) because we did an
early hypermedia "proof of concept" for SciAm (student project at LANL)
and they blithely were (in the background) signing like a 10 year deal
with AOL to provide that service for their customers.   For that whole
decade (into the 2000s) I think Scientific American did not even have a
website (or when they did it was served through AOL).   We did all the
mockup on a NeXT machine which was a little unfair and/or showed things
in too good of a light really.   Maybe what AOL did (pretty lame BTW)
was actually a good LCD (least common denominator) for *their* customers
and many who were dialing in at 1200bps on an early Winderz or even DOS
machine.

I was an early patron of the first ISP in Santa Fe (StudioX/nets.com)
with Roadrunner.com and several others coming in on their heels for my
first private e-mail/web address, but let it go when (on their 10th
anniversary) they *said* they were selling/passing us all off to one of
the others and becoming nothing but a boutique web design/services
shop.   Apparently enough of their customers raised a ruckus because
after I'd moved to ABQ based Southwest Cyberport (thus swcp.com) they
retracted the threat and kept nets.com running (through whomever bought
them out)...

I do sometimes covet a well.com address, but not enough to actually sign
up for it (seems they *still* offer new well.com addresses?).
https://www.well.com/join/ $150/year!