[FRIAM] self-care

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 11:22:20 EDT 2022

In the aftermath of the activist Justices overturning RvW, this popped up in my feed:

How to Give Yourself an Abortion
https://jewishcurrents.org/how-to-give-yourself-an-abortion

I remain torn on the issue of self-care. And lots of energy was added to my oscillators with the whole "horse dewormer" thing for COVID-19. (Yes, I'm poking fun both at the people who bought veterinary ivermectin and the people who used the disgusting sneer "horse dewormer".) To boot, this post came up this morning about a homeopathic packet sent home with the patient after surgery: https://centerforinquiry.salsalabs.org/2022cfimidyearemailversion11. (Placebo is a thing, despite Blumner's write-off.)

Nick is fond of asking people whether they take multivitamins or not. And while it's true most experts claim that *healthy* people just pee them out. *Who* amongst us actually qualifies as "healthy"? What does "health" even mean? That's not an idle or rhetorical question. Am I "healthy", despite the excruciating chronic pain in my shoulders, neck, and lower back? Despite my sporadic debilitating migraines? Despite my now abated follicular lymphoma? Sure, I *seem* healthy because I can do pull-ups, shovel dirt, drink 5 pints without a hangover, and maintain a full-time job with a bit of time for hobbies. But what you see from the outside doesn't reflect what I feel on the inside, which is like a sick puppy where the slightest bad event would topple me into the "disabled" category. "Healthy" is at best a misinformation concept, at worst a malinformation concept: https://www.cisa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/mdm-incident-response-guide_508.pdf

Sneer all you want at the new-age descendant reading self-help books, cutting out magazine ads for their "vision board", or self-administering veterinary de-fetus pills, but there's something important, here. Fad diets, bottled water, alcoholism or pregnancy as an indicator for moral failure, etc. all point at that thing, whatever that thing is.

In that context, self-administered abortion is legit.

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ