[FRIAM] what's the view from Europe?

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Sun Mar 6 00:36:42 EST 2022

For now, convoys coming out of Poland or other countries can try to disguise arms as humanitarian relief.
One could imagine that Javelins could be hidden in small trucks.   It gets harder to disguise a MiG-29.

But there’s no plausible deniability here about Javelins and other weapons intended for Ukraine.   The stated intent of NATO and the US is to enable Ukrainian armed forces to kill Russian soldiers.   At some point, probably relatively soon, it won’t be possible to smuggle large volumes of advanced weapons into Ukraine.   Then what?    Wait for Putin to knock on the door of a NATO country?   He’ll say, “but I have tactical nuclear weapons”, what are you going to do? [1]

Another option is to declare that convoys to and from Ukraine will get NATO escorts.   Then it is on the Russians to escalate:  Don’t you dare shoot at us.
I don’t see any way that Putin can be allowed to come out of this.   His military needs to be degraded.   It can happen now, or it can happen later.   If it happens later there are going to be a lot of dead Ukrainians.   At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if he wants it to be a radioactive DMZ.

Marcus

[1] https://www.russiamatters.org/analysis/escalate-deescalate-part-russias-nuclear-toolbox