[FRIAM] Patriotic Millionaires

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 09:03:26 EST 2022

Marcus,
Let's say you have a neighbor who's always talking about wanting to support
the girl scouts, and who even goes so far as to set up a web page about how
important it is to support the girl scouts, and pays to have signs printed
and distributed around town about how important it is to support girl
scouts. You have a cousin in the girl scouts, so you send her over with the
girl-scout cookie order form. The neighbor takes a look at the forms and
tells your cousin "While I *do *think I should support girl scouts, I am
not going to give you any money unless everyone else in the
neighboorhood is forced to give you money too. Don't ask me to be a chump."

What would we make of that?

<echarles at american.edu>