[FRIAM] Enamine

Roger Critchlow rec at elf.org
Tue Mar 8 14:02:47 EST 2022

I found Mearshimer's argument a persuasive point of view.   What else has
the US done that might make other countries anxious?   Engineered regime
changes in Iran and Chile, supported failed regime changes in Cuba and
Nicaragua, fought wars in Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, intervened in Panama,
Grenada, and Somalia, no-fly-zones in the Balkans and Syria, pursued
economic sanctions against Cuba, North Korea, Iran, Venezuela, and Russia,
expanded NATO twice into eastern europe, training police and
counter-insurgency forces god knows where.  That's just in my lifetime
working from my eroding memory.  If you want to live in the US sphere of
influence, you'd best not poke the eagle in the eye, you'd best adapt or
mask your aspirations to the ones the US approves.

We protest that our interests are supporting democracy and providing
humanitarian aid, because that feels good.  Pay no attention to those cozy
contracts between occupied Iraq and the western oil companies.  That tasty
piece of kleptocracy wasn't in any way a motivation for the completely made
up reasons for invading Iraq.  (Rumsfeld knew that he knew that Iraq had
oil reserves, it was a known known.)  And don't get all tedious counting
the collateral casualties from our drone wars, we only bomb wedding
celebrations when it's absolutely necessary, and we are sincerely sorry for
your losses, so, please, stop crying over spilt milk, it really harshes the
vibe.

Good for the goose is good for the gander.  Putin is enforcing Russian
approved aspirations in Ukraine.   And Mearshimer's point is that Putin
isn't making up his reasons, he's stated them often.  Until the Ukrainians
capitulate, he will continue to level the country, one apartment block,
school, hospital, university, police station, city hall, and factory at a
time.  We can hope there won't be any accidents with nuclear power plants
or hydroelectric dams.  There will be no Ukrainian ports on the Black Sea
for British destroyers to visit in the future while flashing their bums at
Sebastapol.  And we're going to fight him to the last Ukrainian standing,
like we fought the Sandinistas to the last Contra standing, and we fought
Cuba to the last Cuban exile standing on the beach at the Bay of Pigs.
 There wasn't any air cover there, either.

Mearshimer's point of view is not pretty, and fairness is not part of its
calculus, but it's the way of the world that we, the United States of
America, have made.  And when we screw up in our enthusiasm for truth,
justice, and the amurkan way, we should not blame others for the
consequences.  And most especially when blaming the other is both
politically expedient and a way of escalating the conflict that our
enthusiasms created in the first place.  And mostest especially when we're
escalating toward a tactical nuclear war in europe.

Broadwell's rebuttal was so ironic that I couldn't listen to it.  "We
didn't do that.  We couldn't do that.  We would never do that."   Sure,
Ray, we're pure as the driven snow, and anything we did or didn't do that
helped "that coup" happen was an innocent mistake, which Putin should have
laughed off.  But Putin isn't laughing.  In fact, he looks awful.

Marcus' observation that "what's the point of a huge defense budget if all
you can do is cower?" might well be Putin's mantra.

-- rec --