[FRIAM] Analytic Idealism

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 22 17:31:29 EDT 2022

*"Back in the seventeenth century, when science as we know it today took its first steps, scientists based their entire work on—what else?—***perceptual experience***: the things and phenomena they could see, touch, smell, taste or hear around them. That starting point, is course, **_*qualitative*_** in nature.*

*Soon, however, scientists realized that it is very convenient to describe the eminently *qualitative* world by means of *_quantities_*.*

*But then something bizarre happened: many scientists seemingly forgot where it all started and began attributing fundamental  reality only to the *_quantities_*.*

*This, in a nutshell, is the beginning of *metaphysical materialism*, a philosophy that—absurdly—grants fundamental reality to mere *descriptions*, while denying the reality of that which is described. ... we began cluelessly replacing reality with its description, the territory with the map.*

*And so now we face the so-called 'hard problem of consciousness': the impossibility of explaining qualities in terms of quantities.*

*In the space of a couple of centuries, we tied ourselves up in hopelessly abstract conceptual knots and managed to lose touch with reality altogether.*

*Laboratory results in quantum mechanics, for instance, strongly indicate that there is no autonomous material world of tables and chairs out there. Coupled with the inability of materialist neuroscience to explain experience, this is forcing us to reexamine our earlier assumptions and contemplate alternatives. *_Analytic idealism_*—the notion that reality, while equally amenable to scientific inquiry, is fundamentally qualitiative–is a leading contender to replace metaphysical materialism."*

The preceding was from *Science Ideated* by Bernado Klastrup.

Factoid: when "perceiving alternate realities," e.g., while on LSD, brain activity decreases when material neuroscience predicts an increase.

*"Attention is not just receptive, but actively creative of the world we inhabit. How we attend makes all the difference to the world we experience. ***
*Forget everything you thought you knew about the difference between the hemispheres, because it will be largely wrong. It is not what each hemisphere does – they are both involved in everything – but how it does it, that matters. And the prime difference between the brain hemispheres is the manner in which they attend. For reasons of survival we need one hemisphere (in humans and many animals, the left) to pay narrow attention to detail, to grab hold of things we need, while the other, the right, keeps an eye out for everything else. The result is that one hemisphere is good at **_*utilising*_** the world, the other better at **_*understanding*_** it.***

*Absent, present, detached, engaged, alienated, empathic, broad or narrow, sustained or piecemeal, attention has the power to alter whatever it meets. The play of attention can both create and destroy, but it never leaves its object unchanged. How you attend to something – or don’t attend to it – matters a very great deal."*

Preceding from Iain McGilchrist's *Ways of Attending*. I am a big fan of McGilchrist and his book The Master and his Emissary and, I expect, the just ordered two volume, *The Matter with Things*.

Just throwing some things to see if they stick against anyone's walls and prompts some conversation.

Also, big fan of *The Dawn of Everything* mentioned on the list in the last couple of days. I think it has some valuable information and insights that would inform a lot of conversations on this list with regard sociopolitical organization and means of effecting change.

davew

**