[FRIAM] Analytic Idealism

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Thu Mar 24 15:07:09 EDT 2022

a minor (?) point of clarification: what is being asserted by these authors (in various ways and from various perspectives) has to do with what we assert to be Real, i.e., to have ontological (metaphysical) status.

With regard the mythical apple hitting Newton on the head:
   -  Mass, velocity, inertia, volume, even the Pantone value of the red skin—the description—are *Real*.
   -  "ouch," the grey scale perception of the apple's skin because I am colorblind, even the "Wow, I just realized what gravity is,"—the perceptions—are *Not Real*.

A different example: the quantized and digitized values from five types of sensor that feed a neural net 'describe' human perception and are *Real*. Any aspect of human perception that cannot be similarly formalized and captured, is therefore *Not Real*.

Questions about whether or not a description can 'capture' an object are orthogonal. (Of course, no description can ever be complete, or accurate from one moment to the next.)

davew