[FRIAM] To repeat is rational, but to wander is transcendent

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Tue Mar 29 17:37:57 EDT 2022

I wrote a big long tedious thing at the branch point in this thread from Frank’s post, but then had the good sense to delete it without sending.

The great thing about technical terms is that one can do lots of work to get an idea clear, assign the terms _at the end_ as tags for the properly-formulated idea, and then send those terms out into the world where they can be joyously used as metaphors, in contexts where none of what was needed for the precise meaning need be checked to have any pertinence to the topic under discussion.

To the wide world, intensive and extensive are available metaphorical tokens, understood in terms of the general phenomenology that we use to kinda-sorta make them intuitive when we tach them.  For me that is a pit of endless hazard, so they are technical terms, usable in a few places but not obviously indefinitely more widely, unless one can do all the legwork to justify them.

In the technical usage, I would say:

1. One first has to have a notion of a macrostate; all these terms only come into existence with respect to it. (They are predicates of what are called “state variables” — the intensive ones and the extensive ones — and that is what the “state” refers to.)

2. One needs some criterion for what is likely, or stable, which in general terms is an entropy (extending considerably beyond the Gibbs equilibrium entropy, but still to be constructed from specific principles), and on the macrostates _only_, the entropy function (which may be defined on many other states besides macroststates as well) becomes a _state function_.

3. Then (actually, all along since the beginning of the construction) one needs to talk about what kind of aggregation operator we can apply to systems, and quantities that do accumulate under aggregation become the arguments of the state-function entropy, and the extensive state variables.  (I say “accumulate” in favor of the more restrictive word “add”, because what we really require is that they are what are termed “scale factors” in large-deviation language, and we can admit a somewhat wider class of kinds of accumulation than just addition, though addition is the extremely common one.)

4. Once one has that, the derivatives of the entropy with respect to the extensive variables are the intensive state variables.  It is precisely the duality — that one is the derivative of a function with respect to the other, which is the argument of that function — that makes it not bizarre that both exist and that they are different.  But as EricC rightly says, if one just uses phenomenological descriptions, why any of this should exist, and why it should arrange itself into such dual systems, much less dual systems with always the same pair-wise relations, seems incomprehensible.  For some of the analogistic applications, there may not be any notions of state, or of a function doing what the entropy does, or of aggregation, or an associated accumulation operation, or gradients, or any of it.  Some of the phenomenology may seems to kinda-sorta go through, but whether one wants to pin oneself down to narrow terms, is less clear.

But that’s just me.  Other people should not be pressured to do things in ways that I find preferable.

Even internally, I don’t feel a need to be a nazi about this.  I like metaphors as much as the next guy, and I am willing to press technical terms into metaphorical service.  It is just that there they become (as a friend once said about a Texan boss of us-both) like pet rattlesnakes, to be handled accordingly.

Eric