[FRIAM] quotes and questions

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Mon May 16 17:41:38 EDT 2022

Glen writes:

< Of course, we *could* be working our way into a fictitious corner. (E.g. the just-so story of the wet monkey thing <https://www.patheos.com/blogs/unreasonablefaith/2009/08/wet-monkey-theory/>, where all the kids who believe in the ability of formalism(s) to capture the world are simply thinking inside the box.) But what's the likelihood of that? I claim vanishingly small. >

Using the Standard Model, applied physicists and engineers build careers and do useful work.   Are they thinking in a box?   Perhaps.  But there are also physicists who are obsessed with poking holes in it and generalizing it.

Marcus