[FRIAM] summer reading

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed May 18 14:52:11 EDT 2022

At the suggestion of JennyQ I am (re)reading Russel Shorto's "Amsterdam:
A History of the Worlds Most Liberal City"... in response to the topic
of you interviews and e-mail here, I liked the way he spoke of "freedom"
and "liberty" in the context of the formation of Amsterdam and the
Netherlands in general.

An important distinction seems to be between "freedom from" and "freedom
to".   Both Right and Left (being political intrinsically?) seem
overworried about "freedom from", looking at *who* or *what*
(institution) is going to obstruct one's "pursuit of happiness" whether
it be taxation or regulation or making various (somewhat private) acts
such as abortion or gun-ownership or
helmet/seatbelt/healthcare-insurance (non)use illegal (obstructable and
punishable).  It seems that the from/to duality is at the crux of
this.   When I am in a healthy frame of mind, I am much more focused on
what/how/why I want to do than I am about who/what/why I am going to be
stopped.  As I negotiate the foreignness (to me) of public transport
(short and long haul) I can lose sight of my goal which is to get from
one place to another and become obsessed with the (appearance of the)
failures of the given system (bus/train/taxi/etc) and the supporting
materials (signage, phone apps, schedules, people-who-advise) and lose
sight of the idea that I really just want to get where I'm going
(freedom to) and railing against the various stumble-stones (they seem
huge when you are too clumsy/ignorant to lift your feet or walk around
them) instead (freedom from).

Feudal Europe had a lot of systemic constraints on the common man, but
when living within those constraints there was often a lot of freedom.
What Shorto describes about Amsterdam/NL is the emergence of the idea
that an individual *can* or *should* have the freedoms to do many things
*without* the constraining interferences of church and state at the
time.  He also describes how the formation of common share stocks and
exchanges both yielded a "freedom to" (invest in short and long lived
ventures) while creating a new set of ways to exploit.  The "victims" of
the VOC (dutch east india Co) were wide and varied and the "freedom to"
by those who benefitted from holding stock in it's ventures and/or being
employed or facilitated by it's operations was balanced but hidden from
those who would need "freedom from" the various exploitative strategies
employed by the "management" in the name of "freedom to".

Our modern hyper-capitalistic first-world seems to be this in spades.
For every "freedom to" we have (say, eat avocado toast daily or buy a
new pair of name-brand athletic shoes monthly), someone else may well
suffer mightily to make that happen (drug cartels owning the Avocado
farms in MX and child-labor in indonesia constructing sneakers for a
month's pay equal the price of one pair retail in the US or EU).