[FRIAM] oversight

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Thu May 19 14:05:03 EDT 2022

Psychedelic medicine group investigating a board member accused of financial elder abuse
https://www.statnews.com/2022/05/18/maps-psychedelics-group-investigating-board-member-accused-of-financial-elder-abuse/

Continuing the tangent on criticism, while it always feels (to the criticized) like a bad thing, such scrutiny and criticism is actually a good thing. If Vicky goes down and the allegations are false, then she took one for the team. Regardless, serious criticism is evidence that the mission is being taken seriously.

To analogies that seem appropriate: 1) Cancel culture snowflakes, and 2) Roe v Wade. "Cancelled" people like Weinstein or Spacey seem to be robust under the mild criticism of "art critics" ... what we might call "critique", I guess. But when you levy actual criticism, the response to which has to be more than boilerplate, they try crybullying <https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=crybully>. But, writ large, such heavy criticism improves their domain.

The same goes for Roe v Wade. Of course I'm torn. What psychopath would not be? The women I interact with are upset because that heretofore Constitutional Right would be removed and an untold number of people (not just women) will suffer unpredictable harm. But Roe (and Casey) was, to me, like an unjustified Master Equation glossed on top of the (pretense of the) axiomatic system that is a constitutional republic. Roe and Casey just "skipped to the end" without doing the hard work of deriving the Right from first principles. It feels to me like proof by contradiction ... i.e. wholly unsatisfying. *If* we have the political will, overturning it will allow us to go back and do that work ... necessary work. Work that founds the Right in such a way that it becomes a *right*, with a small "r". So, again, the criticism of the Roe (and Casey) decision(s) lobbed by the right-wing SCOTUS is a *good thing*, even though it'll cause untold suffering. What would be a bad thing is if, as with climate change, we know it causes suffering and we stick it on the back burner forever anyway.

--
Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙